(Henrico, Va.) – Greater Richmond, with its thriving distribution and warehousing industries, will play host to the 2018 RVA LogistXGames as ten local companies compete for the fourth annual regional championship.
“Last year’s games turned the spotlight onto the logistics and distribution industry in Richmond, and we will continue to do so, that’s why we’re encouraging participating and sponsorship for this year’s games,” said CBRE |Richmond Vice President and LogistXGames co-chair Wood Thornton.
The 2018 RVA LogistXGames will be held at Deepwater Industrial Park at 3205 Commerce Road on April 26 (10:00am to 1:00pm).
The games serve as a healthy competition between prominent companies who are involved in the movement of goods between source and consumer, and paths all along the way. Representatives of CBRE |Richmond, Liberty Property Trust, the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA), and The Port of Virginia have organized this event.
How do the games work?
There are four events in the 2018 competition. They are each designed to test the teamwork, talent, efficiency and speed of each competing company. The games mirror the types of environments which logistics professionals work, but they are presented with a “twist.” Those games are:
- Pallet Puzzle Sprint – Three-person teams each take 36 different-sized corrugated boxes from floor locations, assemble them and stack them on a pallet. The team with the quickest time wins.
- Pallet Jack Relay – Three-person teams participate in a timed pallet jack relay race through an obstacle course while keeping the boxes on the pallet.
- Pick/Pack Hurdle – Three-person teams move boxes from the pallet to a warehouse racking system while memorizing positioning and SKUs in a timed race.
- Box Put –Teams will have packed one box with fragile bottled liquid items, in the Pallet Puzzle Sprint event, utilizing selected packaging material from various options. During the Box Put event, one team member will then throw the box for distance and accuracy without breaking the contents.
An objective group of volunteers will serve as judges for the competition. The winning company will receive the “Golden Pallet” award.
Why Hold the LogistXGames?
First held in 2007 in Louisville, Ky., the games were created as a means for participating companies to build employee pride, foster teamwork principles and reinforce safety standards.
Teams playing, as of April 18, 2018, include:
- Riverside Logistics
- The Port of Virginia
- Worth Higgins & Associates
- Total Packaging Services
- PD Systems
Sponsors include: CBRE|Richmond, The Port of Virginia, Virginia Credit Union Arbon|Rite Hite, Panattoni, Capital Region Workforce Development Board, Becknell Industrial, Liberty Property Trust, Alpha Systems, Chesterfield Economic Development, Crown Lifts, Dominion Energy, Greater Richmond Partnership, Hanover County Economic Development Authority, Henrico County Economic Development Authority, Hood Container, Hourigan Development, Lutron, Manufacturing Skills Institute, Peaklogix, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, Richmond Economic Development Authority, Riverside Logistics, SignCrafters, TK Promotions, Total Packaging Services, Williams Mullen and Worth Higgins & Associates. Tax deductible contributions will be designated for workforce development efforts including logistics/operation management industry training offered by CCWA.
For more information about the 2018 RVA LogistXGames, call/email Laura Bradshaw at (804) 267-7253 (email@example.com) or Nina Sims at (804) 523-2289 (firstname.lastname@example.org).